Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Calming Touch of God's Hand

Have you ever been the recipient of an unexpected blessing?  Has a prayer request been answered before it was ever spoken?  Have you ever just sat back and said "Thanks God" because you knew, without a shadow of a doubt that He had answered your request before it was even made?

I was driving through our little town bringing my son back from getting a haircut.  It was the last day before Christmas break was over for me and I was mentally preparing for the things I need to do over the next few days.  As usual, my mind began to speed up and a small seed of anxiety began to grow in my mind and heart.  Would I be able to get it all done?  Would I be able to give 110% even though my energy level tells me to take a nap? 


It was at that point I began to spiral down just a bit into a state of being a tad on the overwhelmed side.  Alright, honestly I was starting to mentally freak out.  Was it over anything significant?  NO!  But I was starting to spiral...then all the sudden, the little hand, attached to the not so little boy in the seat next to me began to rub my arm.  It was just a soft touch across my arm meant to calm my racing mind.  This soft touch is something our son has done many times in the last couple years and has calmed my racing mind and beating heart almost instantly.  Quite frankly, it stops me in my tracks!  Where did my son learn this calming mechanism?  How did he know that Mommy needed to be calmed?  Many times he has reached over, rubbed my arm and told me to calm down and stop stressing (especially lately) but this time there were no sighs, no deep breaths, no outward signs I was beginning to stress.  So how did he know?  I asked and his reply was he didn't know.  It was just something he did.  However, God knew.  God knew that in that moment, I was sliding into the deep abyss of "I'll never get it all done" and He sent me a little reminder, in the shape of a 10 year olds hand to remind me that I'm not alone.  He reminded me that my Father in Heaven is there and as always He is listening.


God uses people in our lives to touch us every day. All too often we are too busy to realize it.  We are busy rushing around, making sure we have all our ducks in a row so that we can rush on to the next thing. But that's not what the Lord wants of us.  He wants us to be PRESENT in today!  To live in today and let HIM take care of tomorrow.  God tells us to not worry.


In Philippians 4:6-7 Paul tells us:


Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (NKJV)



Am I anxious?  If I am honest, I typically live in a perpetual state of anxiety...all of my own choosing and likely all of my own creation.  You see, I was designed to love, I was designed to serve, and I was designed to take care of those around me.  It's just who I am.  But I don't think God wants me to do that to the detriment of my own health.  He didn’t bless me with those qualities only to have me make them into a curse.  God has given me those gifts to freely share…without worry, without anxiety.  I really think what God is saying here is RELY ON ME! BE PRESENT!  Talk to me child, I love you and want you to know you can trust in ME.  God desires a relationship with me. 


Being a follower of Christ is not a religion.  It's a relationship.  And relationships cannot be one way; they must be full-duplex, full of trust, communication and love.  God showed HIS love for me by sending His Son to die on the cross for ME.  HE wants ME to know HE loves ME.


So today, I'm working at letting go.  I am committing to being PRESENT.  I need to fully rely on God to take care of my needs, my heart, and my life.  He takes care of the sparrow.  Doesn't he want to take care of me also!!!


And God wants YOU to know He loves you also!  He wants a relationship with you dear friend.  It's been too long, reach out and talk to Him.  Surrender to Him and begin a relationship with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Post a Comment