Friday, January 6, 2017

Baby it's cold outside

Well, that might not be true here in Charleston...not yet anyway.  But it appears as though we may receive 2 or 3 days of winter weather here in South Carolina.  Regardless of the temperature outside, I can tell you, there will still be those people, those strange people who wear flip flops outside (my son) and shorts around the house (me).  You can ask my mom; even on the coldest of winter days in Kentucky when I was growing up, I wore shorts around the house. 

December evening by the fire
More often than not when it is cold outside I am guilty of not wearing the appropriate amount of clothing for the weather. For example, I won't wear a jacket or coat while driving my car.  Even in sub-zero temperatures when I lived in Northern Japan, I would warm up the car, take off my parka (because yes, it was cold enough there for a parka, not just a regular old winter coat) and then drive to where I needed to go.  Heaven help me if I was ever in an accident and ejected from a car because I would definitely not be protected from the elements.  Around the house, I wear shorts...all...year...long....it drives my family crazy.

When I walk into work most mornings, I don't wear a jacket or coat.  I'm lucky to be wearing a cardigan or something but then again, I probably took that off to drive also and am carrying it.  Now, mind you, the distance I walk from my vehicle to the front door is, on a bad day, about 100 feet.  Most mornings I'm about 40 feet from the front door.  I can handle the 100 foot walk without a coat.  Plain and simple, I just do not like wearing a coat.  Never have.  

Now, let's flip that around. If I am in the lab or a conference room and I have to sit for long periods of time I should just bring a blanket because I will start to freeze and then wear my coat.  A few years ago on a business trip to Maryland, I was in a conference room for a week and it was FREEZING...in JULY, so I HAD to buy a jacket to wear inside!  So call me strange. Call me weird.  Call me a non-conformist, call me crazy.  Whatever.  I'm just one of those people who maybe subconsciously always wishes she were near a nice warm beach.

Or maybe I just like to keep people guessing.  My husband likes to refer to me as a vampire. I work in a building with no windows and have for the last 25 years.  I burn easily in the sun and am a night owl.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love the sun!  I love the warmth of a sunny day!  I love the sun shining down on my face warming my soul! Unfortunately it just doesn't necessarily love me.  I am pretty fair skinned and burn easily (ask me about my boot-camp sunburn).  When I was doing my middle eastern tour I had to wear long sleeves and long pants.  It was HORRIBLE.  I was miserable.  When I flew in to Kuwait from one of the ships, it was a cool 117 degrees on the blacktop tarmac (translation, heat index of approximately 140) and I had on long pants and long sleeves (these would help keep the sun from burning my skin).  I won't even tell you how hot it was in the porta-potties on the tarmac.  OUCH is all I will say about that!   However you can guess, at those temperatures I quickly changed into short sleeves because well, I didn't want to fry.  But then again, I did end up frying a little.  Man that desert sun is strong!

So to all my friends and family "up north", I feel for ya.  Try to stay warm.  As for me, give me the sun.  Give me the beach and a gallon of sunscreen and I'll be happy for a while.  Add a boat, some scuba gear and I'll be happy as a clam!

Stay warm peeps!  Much love from South Carolina,
Jess





Post a Comment