Monday, January 2, 2017

2017 - My word

Well, 2016 is dead and gone. For a lot of people they are pretty pleased it is finally over. I honestly didn't think 2016 was that bad. We went on a pretty nice Spring Break vacation.  My stepdaughter graduated college.  Our son is doing well in both school and swimming.  I mean, sure, I miss my step-daughter who moved way too far away and it's honestly strained our relationship.  We don't talk like we did before but I guess that's a part of growing up.  But she graduated college!!!  She's got a great job!  So I'm happy for her.  Sure there were a lot of celebrity deaths...but really?  Does this affect me??  Not really.  Most of them were way too early granted but a combination of overuse of alcohol and drugs made many of them die way too early.  Sad? Yes.  Something our society should learn from? Yes.  Does it directly affect me?  No.  Not really.  Although I will say, Star Wars won't be the same without Carrie Fisher.

So what will 2017 bring?  For me, I am praying 2017 brings peace.  I want peace in my little world.  I would love peace in our larger world.  Along with that I am committing to a 365 day quilt block challenge...and it will be a challenge.  I have an incredible Bible Study I am starting in a couple weeks on Wisdom.  I am also committing to working out when LJ is in the pool.  But is that enough? No, it's not.

I am therefore jumping on the bandwagon of having a word for the year.  My word?  It is something that affected me greatly in 2016.  Being present.  What does that mean though?

PRESENT - being attentive to those around me.  Paying attention to my family and friends.  NOT GIVING THEM MY LEFTOVERS. I have been on the receiving end of people's leftover time in the past and quite honestly it isn't fun. Especially when those people are ones you love.   Now, in full disclosure, I am sure I am guilty of giving those I love my leftover time on occasion.  So this year I am committing to concentrating on being PRESENT.  

I will be revisiting this theme over the next year.  Bear with me, I know I am not perfect.  But God is still working on me.


Post a Comment