Thursday, February 28, 2013

"When you are tired, you go to sleep"

So, last night, my husband and I were waiting for the Duck Dynasty new season to begin and he found a movie on TV that we like.  We started watching it, I then put our son to bed and went to the bedroom to cozy up in to bed and wait it out.  While watching the movie, he crawls into bed, waits a few minutes and then says "Goodnight".  It was 9:37 (yes, I looked at the clock).  I was yawning but "Hey, Jack!", Duck Dynasty season premiere was coming on in 25 minutes.  What in the world did he think he was doing?  So I asked as much.  He said:  "When you are tired, you go to sleep". 

WOW!  THAT hit me hard.  What a concept. I have always marveled at how easily he can fall asleep while I lay there mind racing trying to shut it down and end up tossing and turning for over an hour before I fall asleep. 

I thought about his statement for a few minutes. I argued with myself over whether to stay up and watch Duck Dynasty.  Then I kept thinking of his statement: When you are tired, you go to sleep.  So I turned off the TV, silenced my cell phone and went to sleep.  Of course, it still took me a little while to go to sleep but that's mainly because I kept thinking of his statement and what I was going to write this morning.

I need to be more like my husband.  When I am tired, I need to go to sleep.  When he travels, I'm usually in bed by 9:30.  WHY do I stay up later when he is home? Is it to spend a few more minutes with him? Is it to watch TV?  WHY?

So I'm going to try to take his statement to heart and during the week, when I am tired, I'm going to sleep.  I know it bothers him that I take a nap every weekend so maybe this will cure my inability to sleep. I need to shut it down as soon as I feel tired because I know that if I don't listen to my body, I will push it and be over-tired and not be able to sleep.

So what happened last night when I did what he did?  Well, I DID go to sleep faster.  Maybe he's onto something there.  Honey, you amaze me!  I love you!

RANDOM THOUGHT:  Well, not so random, but learn to shut it down when you are feeling tired, don't push yourself so late at night that you cannot sleep!
 
p.s.  IF you haven't seen Duck Dynasty, you need to watch it.  It is funny, it's family friendly and they end each show with the family at the dinner table and prayer being said thanking our Lord.
Post a Comment