Friday, April 27, 2012

RAMBLINGS OF A RUNNER

So lately I've upped my mileage.  That is a good thing.  I had a gentleman at work ask me yesterday who I was running with.  Um, myself?  The gentleman then asks "Why doesn't your husband run with you".  Me: "Um, because he hates running".

Okay, so to be fair, my husband did 20 years in the Navy and HAD to run.  And like me, he never liked it while he was in the Navy and like me, he isn't built like Usain Bolt.  So running isn't really in our gene's.

However, just because my husband doesn't like to run, doesn't mean I can't run with someone else.  And I have a few times.  I mean, he pumps iron at the gym with his buddy...and honestly, I've never wanted to lift weights. I find it boring.  He finds it challenging.  He hates running, I find it challenging.  So I have run with others a few times.  Once with Sarah, a couple times with my Mom and a couple times with Yvette.  Now, with Sarah, we are about the same height and we were both young runners so we were compatible as far as our strides go but with busy schedules it is difficult to get together.  My mom is a bit shorter than me so my steps were shuffles and so we aren't compatible runners (she is either too fast for me or our steps aren't ever the same).  Then there is Yvette.  SHE IS FAST!  THAT GIRL CAN RUN!  So needless to say, the penguin is pretty far behind the jackrabbit there.

But that's not the reason I run alone.  I run alone because it's my ME time.  A time for me to spend time in prayer...A time for my mind to wander...A time for me to solve all the worlds problems...A time to just veg out and take in the beautiful scenery.  It's my downtime.  It is a stress reliever and I feel wonderful after a GOOD run.  It rejuvenates my spirit.  It pumps me up a bit.  It makes me not so hungry (I know, that is weird but true, I'd rather drink a smoothie of fruit vice dinner after a run). Besides, running with my husband would turn into a competition and I don't need that. We did run together once when we were both in the Navy and well, lets just say he's better(faster) at it than me and I never want him to see me stop running because I'm tired.

Random thought for today:
DO WHAT YOU WANT FOR EXERCISE.  WHETHER IT'S RUNNING, WALKING, WEIGHT LIFTING, SWIMMING OR ZUMBA, IT DOESN'T MATTER. WHAT MATTERS IS YOU ARE MOVING.  AND DO IT TO MAKE YOURSELF HEALTHIER, NOT BECAUSE SOMEONE SAYS YOU SHOULD.  EXERCISE BECAUSE YOU ARE WORTH IT.
Post a Comment