Tuesday, April 24, 2012

QUIET TIME

Last night after I did my 5 miles in prep for the 1/2 Marathon I'm doing later in the month of May and after I took my Molly girl for her walk (another mile) I arrived home and it was quiet.  REALLY quiet.  Jon and LJ were at the YMCA, Janessa was at the pool coaching then off to Sylvan to prep for the SAT...and it was just Molly and I at home.  Alone.  No TV.  No kids laughing.  No husband needing anything.  No TV (oh I said that already didn't I).

It was quiet.  Now, 6 years ago, this was all normal.  I lived in our home for 5 years before Jon and Janessa were able to join me and before LJ was born.  But in May of 2006, Janessa came to live with us, Jon moved home after retiring in August and LJ was born in September.  Since then, there has RARELY been quiet in our home.  Last night I had almost 2 solid hours of quiet.  THAT never happens.

So what did I do?  Well, I had already started dinner. The house was already clean.  I can't work on my quilt until I go back to class on Thursday because I'm kind of stuck.  So I did what any Mom does when she's faced with complete and utter quiet...I walked around trying to find things to do.  I said some prayers.  I made sure dinner was going to be ready. I worked on reloading my Kindle. I took my post-workout shower.  And I was at a loss for something to do.  It was strange.  It was un-nerving.  I was NOT comfortable in that much quiet time.

Random thought:

WHEN FACED WITH QUIET TIME SPEND IT WISELY. IT DOESN'T COME AROUND OFTEN.  ENJOY IT. MAKE THE MOST OF IT.  RELISH THE NOT SO QUIET TIMES BECAUSE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, THE KIDS WILL BE GROWN AND YOU WILL MISS THE NOISE.
Post a Comment